OWLAG (Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls) Profile
The Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls, or simply shortened to OWLAG, is a world-class institution that is formed by Oprah Winfrey, Mr. Mandela and the previous Minister of Education. Based in the Gauteng Province, OWLAG finally welcomed its very first students in 2007. As of now, OWLAG currently accommodates about 290 students. Through the Academy, their female-based students who encouraged to participate not just in academics, but also social activities as well. Students of OWLAG are expected to follow the several principles, which includes displaying a sense of humanity, showing compassion, and helping the people around them. By embodying these important values, students do not just excel in school, but also in life.
About OWLAG (Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls) Internships 2021-2022
The Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls (OWLAG) is offering internships to South African individuals who wish to work in an academic environment. The OWLAG Internships is a perfect opportunity to attain work experience within an institution. Throughout the course of the internship, participants will be assigned with different tasks and duties to perform. Interns will receive a better understanding about the line of work through performing these responsibilities.
The OWLAG Internships currently has two programmes:
1. OWLAG Main Internship (Reference Number: INT001)
The OWLAG Main Internship is a programme that trains participants to provide proper, pastoral care for their student body. Under the guidance with the school’s supervisors, such as the Head of Borading, interns must become a parental figure to the girls living in the institution. As interns, you will be required to maintain a living environment that allows students to feel at home, despite being far away from their actual homes. You will need to foresee the house functions, perform daily routines, and follow strict procedures. Through this internship, you will receive the opportunity to work with people from other disciplines, such as Administration, Academics, Psychologists, Catering, and many more.
- Possess a Diploma/Degree and planning to pursue a Post Graduate Certificate in Education in 2021
- Alternatively, currently in their 2nd-3rd year of part-time Diploma/Degree studies
- Willing to partake in the institution’s extramural activities
- Planning to pave a career path in teaching
- Passionate about developing their potential as teachers in a proper school environment
- Willing to provide a statement of police clearance
- Prepared to work shifts
- Able to live away from home on the Academy premises
- Optional, but advantageous:
- Has previous experience living in a boarding house
- Possess prior working experience with child and youth care.
2. OWLAG Library Internship (Reference Number: LIB001)
The OWLAG Library Internship is a programme that trains participants to become accredited librarians within an academic environments. Interns are expected to accurately sort all administrative tasks that are related to the school’s library. Interns will get to work directly in an academic environment that’s close to students, and at the same time, receive working exposure from this experience.
- Possess a Diploma/Degree, or currently pursuing a Degree in Library and Information Science
- Understands Library Software Systems
- Prepared to be taught the Neurosequential Model of Education
- Has prior knowledge of AACR2, DDC
- Can ensure that confidentiality of all library records
- Has capable abilities in operating MS Office Excel and Powerpoint.
OWLAG (Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls) Internship Requirements
Besides the specific requirements, the OWLAG Internship also requires participants to follow some general criteria. Each of these items below will determine whether you are capable enough of becoming a dedicated intern. Failure to abide to these items might put you in a disadvantageous position during the application procedure. Be sure to take note of everything in this list.
The OWLAG Internships Requirements are as follows:
- Possess a credible Matric qualification
- Displays impressive customer service
- Has a keen eye for details
- Can follow both written and verbal instructions
- Smart in tending to administrative matters
- Able to build new relationships with colleagues
- Manages their time in an effective manner
- Can work independently and in a team
- Makes positive contributions towards the Academy
- Become an integral member of the Academy
- Can be relied upon by others
- Displays professionalism through their attitude.
How to Apply OWLAG (Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls) Internship 2021-2022
Candidates interested in the OWLAG Internship must first access the Official OWLAG Jobs Portal. You will need to check whether the opportunity is available for registration or not. This is because each programme is open only during a certain time period. If it is accepting submissions at the moment, you can directly register for the programme on the portal.
Candidates must provide several documents to support their applications:
- A brief Cover Letter
- Your most updated Curriculum Vitae
- Three references that can be contacted
- A valid copy of your highest educational qualifications
- A valid copy of your Identity Document
Only applications sent through the aforementioned portal will be processed. Candidates sending in applications through email, hand delivery, or fax will automatically be disregarded by the selection committee.
Announcements will only be made to shortlisted candidates. Should you not hear back from the committee, we regret to inform you that you have not been chosen for the internship.
Please be kindly informed that OWLAG remains as an Equal Opportunity Employer during the internship recruitment process.
OWLAG (Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls) Contact Details
534 Wargrave South Road, Henley on Klip, 1961, South Africa
P.O. Box 1485, Henley on Klip, 1962
Phone: +27 28 031 634
Facsimile: +27 16 366 9004
E-mail: [email protected]
Reference: OWLAG (Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls); Author: Larxsati; Editor: Melisa; Image: owlag.co.za.