SANSA (South African National Space Agency) Profile
The South African National Space Agency, or commonly simplified to SANSA, is a national organization that commits itself to the world of space research and activities. Formed in late 2010, SANSA came into existence after noticing a great interest in the field of space science. The Pretoria-based establishment doesn’t just observe what is going on in outer space, but it also studies the effects that it could cause onto Earth. Scientific engineering has become a modern asset that allows more room for development in newer technologies. Asides that, it has become a new hub of unique job opportunities that attract the attention of local science enthusiasts.
Most of SANSA’s current activities involves collecting necessary data that is then used to predict outer galaxy occurrences. On top of that, the data is also used to depict weather forecasts, strengthen communications, and improve navigation systems. SANSA is also well-known for creating its own space-specific programmes. Some of these includes the Space Operations programme (Hartebeesthoek), the Space Science programme (Hermanus), and the latest Space Engineering programme. With space being such a niche yet exciting department of study, SANSA is making quite the positive reputation for themselves on South African grounds.
About SANSA (South African National Space Agency) Internships 2021-2022
SANSA is offering internship programmes for talented, young South African individuals who would like to attain professional working experience in the industry. The SANSA Internships is a programme that allows young folks to experience a corporate organization within a set time period. These programmes, typically provided for students and graduate, are beneficial opportunities to upskill your potential in the job market.
The SANSA Internships will be conducted in the organization’s Space Science Directorate, located in the area of Hearmnus, Western Cape. During the course of the internship, not only will you receive new skills, but you can develop new professional relationships with prominent figures in the industry.
There are two kinds of programmes under the SANSA Internships, which are the Finance Administrator Internship and the Engineering Internship. Each internship has their own respective tasks and duties.
Finance Administrator Internship Duties
- Handling administrative documents
- Tending to switchboard duties
- Filing in finance-related documentation
- Helping with stock taking
- Verifying asset databases
- Processing any transactions on SAGE X3
- Archiving the company’s administrative documents
- Assisting conferences and organizing meetings.
Engineering Internship Duties
- Researching and developing their space activities
- Helping out science support activities
- Developing materials related to science education
- Creating and planning events on technology awareness.
SANSA Internship participants are eligible for a stipend given out each month. The amount of the stipend differs on the qualifications of each intern, which you may take a look below:
- ZAR 5,400: Diploma students with NQF Level 6 qualification (interning to receive full qualification)
- ZAR 6,070: Advanced Diploma/Bachelors students with NQF Level 7 qualification
- ZAR 6,750: Honors/Post Graduate Diploma/B.Tech students with NQF Level 8 qualification
- ZAR 8,050: Masters/M.Tech students with NQF Level 9 qualification
- Undefinied: PhD students with NQF Level 10 qualification.
SANSA (South African National Space Agency) Internship Requirements
Before candidates can apply for the SANSA Internship, please refer to the eligibility criteria that comes along with the programme. Each of these items below are going to be used by the committee to assess their candidates on a fair basis. To ensure a level of acceptance, it is highly encouraged that you pay attention to all these items below. Failure to do so may result in having your registration unsuccessful.
The SANSA Internship Requirements are:
- Officially recognized as a citizen or permanent resident of South Africa (must show South African Identity Document as legitimate proof)
- Must be below 35 years old at the time of registration
- Be prepared to relocate to Hermanus, Western Cape for the overall course of the internship programme
- Optional but advantageous: previous SAP (HR) experience
- Displays impressive communication abilities
- Has a National Diploma or Degree in any one of these study courses below:
- Business Administration
- Supply Chain Management
- Or, candidates can have a Science Degree
- Alternatively, candidates may also use their Engineering qualification, provided they have taken up Physics and Mathematics.
How to Apply SANSA (South African National Space Agency) Internship 2021-2022
Interested applicants must visit the Official SANSA Careers Portal to locate the SANSA Internships. Once you have reached the page, you will need to locate the internship under the Careers Menu. If it is currently open for registration, you may proceed to following the application instructions.
Prepare your application dossier by compiling the following documents:
- Your most recent Curriculum Vitae (with a clear indication of the position your are registering)
- A valid copy of your Identity Document
- Any available qualification certificates
- At least referees names that can be reached out to (please include telephone numbers and e-mail addresses)
- A Cover Letter explaining why you deserve this internship programme
Once everything has been compiled, please send in your application dossier to this e-mail address: [email protected]
Announcements will be made directly to candidates who have been accepted into the internship. Should you not hear back from the committee within a total of 4 weeks past the application deadline, we regret to inform you that you have not been accepted into the SANSA Internships.
Applicants that have been selected for the internship will be subject to more follow-up assessments. These will include:
- Criminal record checks
- Security assessments
- Background checks
- Credit checks
- Citizenship checks
- Qualification verification
- Competency evaluations
- Psychometric assessments
- Candidates are responsible for their own accommodation, transportation, and relocation costs
- SANSA holds all rights to not hold any appointments for certain candidates
- SANSA is adhering to their Employment Equity policies, where they will be providing equal opportunities for different demographics
- People who have disabilities are more than welcomed to apply for the internship
- Should you have any further enquiries or concerns, do not hesitate to reach out to SANSA at this e-mail address: [email protected]
SANSA (South African National Space Agency) Contact Details
SANSA Head Office
Mark Shuttleworth Street
Pretoria 0087, Gauteng, South Africa
P.O. Box 484
Phone: +27 12 844 0500
Facsimile: +27 12 844 0396
E-mail: [email protected]
Reference: SANSA (South African National Space Agency); Author: Larxsati; Editor: Melisa; Image: sansa.org.za.