SARAO (South African Radio Astronomy Observatory) Profile
The South African Radio Astronomy Observatory, or simply referred to as SARAO, is an organization that is formed to manage any radio astronomy-related matters in the country. Established under the National Research Foundation, SARAO’s formation is intended to supervise some of South Africa’s biggest projects and facilities. These includes the projects with Geodesy and VLBI based in their HartRAO facility, their MeerKAT Radio Telescope in the Karoo facility.
However, their efforts do not stop there. SARAO is also responsible for several partnerships with the African Very Long Baseline Interferometry Network (AVN). These are all conducted as a means of maximizing South Africa’s potential within the radio astronomy department. By providing a great deal of investment into the sector’s facilities and research programmes, SARAO is able to hold impressive initiatives that are on par with their international counterparts.
About SARAO (South African Radio Astronomy Observatory) Internships 2021-2022
The South African Radio Astronomy Observatory is offering internship programmes for bright individuals who would like to have an hands on experience in the field. The SARAO Internships are looking out for Engineering and Science-Honours graduates who would like to acquire practical skills under a real-time working environment. Selected interns will receive a chance to implement the academic knowledge as they develop their talents throughout the entire duration of the programme. Upon finishing this internship, not only will you have grand exposure into an prestigious establishment such as SARAO, but you will also become a more qualified worker in the job market.
SARAO (South African Radio Astronomy Observatory) Internship Requirements
In order to apply for the SARAO Internship, all candidates are expected to fulfill the eligibility criteria that has been standardized by the selection committee. Everything that is mentioned in the list below has been carefully thought of. Each of these requirements will be used by the committee to assess all incoming candidates on a fair basis. Failure to meet everything might not automatically result in disqualification. However, it may reduce your chances of acceptance. Therefore, please make sure that you pay attention to the eligibility criteria.
The SARAO Internship Requirements are as follows:
- Officially recognized as a legitimate citizen or permanent resident of South Africa
- Currently in their final year of any one of these educational qualifications below:
- Bachelor of Engineering in Electronic
- Bachelor of Computer Engineering
- Bachelor of Telecommunications Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Electrical Light Current Engineering
- Bachelor of Radio Frequency Engineering
- Bachelor of Mechatronics Engineering
- Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering
- Bachelor of Electromechanical Engineering
- Bachelor of Science Honours in Applied Mathematics
- Bachelor of Science Honours in Computer Science
- Bachelor of Science Honours in Physic
- Bachelor of Science Honours in Astrophysics
- Bachelor of Science Honours in Astronomy
- Displays strong knowledge in the field of software development
- Capable of implementing a variety of programming skills in multiple coding situations.
How to Apply SARAO (South African Radio Astronomy Observatory) Internship 2021-2022
Applications for the SARAO Internships can be done from the comfort of your home. You will require a laptop and functioning Internet access to prep your applications. To get started, all interested candidates are required to prepare these following documents:
- Your most recent Curriculum Vitae
- A valid copy of your South African Identity Document
- Valid copies of your university academic transcripts (until current studies)
- A letter of motivation that describes why you deserve to be accepted into this internship (maximum of 300 words).
Once all of your documents are prepared, make sure that they are compiled under ONE SINGLE PDF document. Documents sent in other formats will not be accepted by the selection committee. If everything is all set in your application dossier, you can sent them in to this provided e-mail address: [email protected]
- Your Curriculum Vitae should highlight your strengths and any experience prior to this internship. In addition, it is highly encouraged that you list out your programming capabilities in your CV
- Application dossiers must not be missing any single document. Incomplete application dossiers that do not comply to the committee’s standards will automatically be dismissed
- Similarly, all provided information must be accurate. Candidates discovered to be providing false personal information will be disqualified from the procedure
- The selection committee will be evaluating all incoming candidates through online methods. If you have passed the administration phase, shortlisted candidates are subject to an interview with the committee
- Selected interns are required to participate in the programme at Cape Town
- The total duration of the SARAO Internships is 3 years
- Please be kindly advised that selected interns may need to pursue a part-time Master’s Degree during the course of their internship programme.
SARAO (South African Radio Astronomy Observatory) Contact Details
SARAO, 2 Fir Street, Black River Park, Observatory (North Gate entrance), 7925, South Africa
Mail Address: –
Phone: +27 21 506 7300
Facsimile: +27 21 506 7375
E-mail: [email protected]
Reference: SARAO (South African Radio Astronomy Observatory); Author: Larxsati; Editor: Melisa; Image: sarao.ac.za.